Green oak Framing
COURSES ARE BEING HELD ON
The Green oak course is design for people with some experience of woodworking, who want to learn the principles of green oak framed building construction.
The course will start at 9am and finish approx 5pm and runs for 5 days.
Please bring a packed lunch or you can visit the Hop Pocket restaurant for a cooked meal should you want it. Tea & coffee will be provided.
- Introduction to the history of green oak framing.
- Health and safety overview of tools and their use.
- Setting out of joints, cutting them.
- Appropriate application of various joints.
- Making a rose arbour from scratch using the principles of green oak construction.
During the five days you will learn the principles of green oak construction will be replicated by making a rose arbour. This will include the basic joints used in green oak consruction through to sills and roof trusses. You will receive detailed drawings of the rose arbour we will be constructing and you will be given a very useful book that covers everything we will do in the course. You can take this away with you so you can refer back after the course. At the end of course you will be able to take away the rose arbour for your enjoyment . Please note you should be able to complete the arbour in the five days however this is dependant on your working pace, if you don't have time to finish the arbour during the course you will have the skills to complete it at home yourself.
£540.00 per student including all materials
Tools requiredFraming square, combination square, mortice gauge, sliding bevel, tape measure, carpenters pencil, hand saw(Irwin jacksaw) Chisels half inch, three quarter inch & one inch widths, Mallet and a cordless drill. Note book & pen/pencil.These items can be hired for £10 for the duration of the course.Safety
Please wear sensible shoes preferably toe protected boots/shoes/ trainers. No trainers or sandals. Long hair must be tied back. This is for your safety and needs to be adhered to.
- Really good clear instructions and help when needed would like to sign up for more courses in the near future. summer 2012
- Very enjoyable, would recommend to anyone looking to enter the world of oak framing.
- Excellent - Easy going very imformative- feel confident on leaving, just right for a beginner! 2013