COURSES ARE BEING HELD ON
Course dates coming soon for 2018
The Basic skills course is design for complete beginners, it will take you right from sharpening and setting up tools to marking out to an end project that you have competed totally with hand tools. Totally traditional way of working and with no machinery involved easy to replicate when you get home!
The course will start at 10am and finish approx 4pm, please bring a packed lunch or you can visit the Hop Pocket restaurant for a cooked meal should you want it. Tea & coffee will be provided.
- Anatomy of the basic tool kit
- Safe use of tools
- Sharpening and maintenance of tools
- Principles of marking out
- Timber preparation using hand tools
- Using what was learnt on day 1 make a pair of winding sticks
- How to use the winding sticks (a traditional tool to check the amount of twist in a board)
- How to make dovetail joints
£150.00 per student including all materials
These tools can be hired for £10 for the duration of your course.
Please wear sensible shoes preferably toe protected boots/shoes/ trainers. No trainers or sandals. Long hair must be tied back. This is for your safety and needs to be adhered to.
- Just spent a great weekend on the basic skills course. Very informative and great to learn in the environment of a workshop. Jon is very a knowledgeable cabinet maker and he puts you at ease to help you succeed. Can't wait for my next course I would highly recommend!
- Very Welcoming and good tuition that is patient and lets you have a go without worrying about making mistakes.
- Jon was an excellent teacher and made you fell at ease to ask questions, his enthusiasm for his craft is infectious. Superb tea making skills.
- Jon was a good teacher- very relaxed and easy to observe and learn from.
- Excellent, feel much more confident to tackle projects now and also know a bit more about what to look for in tolls now! October 2013
- Spot on. Alot to take on board but not too much. Pitched at Just the right level for me. October 2013